The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) hosted the 11th International Workshop on Value Modeling and Business Ontologies (VMBO) from March 6th - 7th 2017.
The importance of modeling the essence of enterprises on a level that abstracts from operational details is increasingly recognized. Business ontology provides abstract descriptions of enterprises in their business context, focusing on what is needed to create and transfer value. Value modeling is a business modeling approach that focuses on the value objects exchanged in business networks. Business ontology and value modeling research is conducted using instruments such as Business Model Generation, the REA (Resources, Events, Agents) ontology, Enterprise Ontology and the e3-value tool set.
The goal of VMBO is to bring together researchers with an interest in value modeling and business ontology in order to present and discuss the current state of enterprise or business modeling and to identify key areas for further research. A special theme that we want to highlight this year is value co-creation, in particular value co-creation by the use of (big) data. Is data an economic resource that can be valued and that obeys the usual stock flow axioms?
Prof. Dr. Robert Winter gave a presentation on 7 March 2017.
More info soon online.
|9.00- 9.05||Opening (Ivan/Hans)|
Session 1 - Value Modeling
- Abdelilah Mounir, Nelly Condori-Fernandez and Jaap Gordijn: Towards Identifying Business Value Patterns
- Barbara Livieri, Paul Johannesson, Birger Andersson and Nicola Guarino: Value Ascription Ontology: short presentation and unaddressed issues
Session 2 - Accounting ontologies
- Christian Scheller and Pavel Hruby: Money as Debt in REA and POA
Session 3 - Auditing
- Jonne Kocken and Joris Hulstijn: Providing Continuous Assurance
- Yuxin Wang, André Teixeira and Yao-Hua Tan: Fault Detection and Diagnosis in Manufacturing and Inventory Management regarding Customs Compliance - A Case Study for Automated Auditing
Session 4 – Business Ontology
- Michael Verdonck and Frederik Gailly: Design of an empirical study to measure the comprehension of 3D and 4D ontology-driven conceptual model
Invited talk Prof. Dr. Robert Winter, University of St. Gallen: A Language for Value Co-Creation
|10.15 – 10.45|
Session 6 - Blockchain
- Graham Gal and William Mccarthy: Tokenization of Independent-View REA Components on the Blockchain
Session 6A – general discussion on VMBO
Session 7 – Business Architecture
- Ben Roelens and Geert Poels: Towards the Design of a Business Architecture Simulation Technique
Session 8 – Languages and Ontologies
- Hans Weigand, Paul Johannesson and Birger Andersson: Towards a REA policy specification language
|16.25 -17.00||General discussion, closing|
Program Committee: Hans Weigand (chair), Paul Johannesson (chair), Adrian Paschke, Jaap Gordijn, Pavel Hruby, Nicola Guarino, Yao-Hua Tan, Maria Bergholtz, Christian Huemer, Bill McCarthy, Geert Poels, Erik Proper, Birger Andersson, Barbara Livieri, Faiza Buksh
If you are interested in joining, please submit a short paper (maximum of five pages) describing your main ideas. We encourage you to focus on ideas in progress for which you would like to get feedback from other workshop participants.
Note that submitted papers will be only evaluated for their potential to enable substantive research discussions. The program committee will use the papers to put together a final program; the aim is to accommodate all relevant papers. If necessary, a selection will be made in such a way that an overall good balance is achieved.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to :
Ivan Razo-Zapata (LIST)
Erik Proper (LIST)
AIS (American Accounting Association, section Strategic and Emerging Technologies)
SIKS (Research School for Information Systems and AI)
Dates: March 6th - 7th 2017
Duration: 2 days
Registration fee: 160 € VAT excl. (3% VAT), including participation to the 2 conference days, the lunchs, the refreshments, the conference dinner.
Venue: Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology, 41, rue du Brill, L-4422 Belvaux
> Download the access map the access map - PDF file
Hotel: A given number of rooms are blocked at the Ibis Belval. The options are available until 12/02/2017. This hotel is located at a walking distance of around 5 minutes from the conference location.
Please use this booking form in order to reserve your room.
Jan 12, 2017 Paper submission deadline (extended)
Jan 31, 2017 Notification of acceptance
Feb 18, 2017 Registration deadline
March 6-7, 2017 VMBO Workshop, Luxembourg
5, avenue des Hauts-Fourneaux
Tel: +352 275 888 - 1
Fax: +352 275 885
Contact Hans Weigand via email
- e3value – Information about e3value ontology
- Michigan State University – Information about REA ontology from a research perspective
- REA technology – Information about REA ontology from an engineering perspective
- 10th International Workshop on Value Modeling and Business Ontologies (Trento 2016)
- 9th International Workshop on Value Modeling and Business Ontologies (Tilburg 2015)
- 8th International Workshop on Value Modeling and Business Ontologies (Berlin 2014)
- 7th International Workshop on Value Modeling and Business Ontologies (Delft 2013)
- 6th International Workshop on Value Modeling and Business Ontologies (Vienna 2012)
- 5th International Workshop on Value Modeling and Business Ontologies (Ghent 2011)
- 4th International Workshop on Value Modeling and Business Ontologies (Amsterdam 2009)
- 3rd International Workshop on Value Modeling and Business Ontologies (Stockholm 2008)