Contract type: Permanent contract
Your work environment
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
To fulfil its mission of "pushing the frontiers in research for high-impact innovation," LIST has established a technology transfer office (TTO) that will help to build the bridges between LIST's science, research and technology development and industry, as well as society at large. By transferring knowledge and technologies to society and the marketplace, LIST's TTO advances the impact of LIST's research results by collaborating with industry and public sector partners. The LIST TTO is pro-actively identifying new opportunities for research collaboration with such partners, including valorisation of the LIST research, commercialisation of technologies, securing and licensing intellectual property rights, creating spinoff companies, and stimulating knowledge-driven regional development. We are looking for our Head of Technology transfer office.
What you will be doing
The Head of Knowledge and Technology Transfer, reporting directly to LIST CEO, will be responsible for providing leadership, vision, and strategic direction in the areas of technology transfer across LIST and for leading a high-performance team of professionals at the TTO delivering services across our institution.
She/He will build relationships with industry, entrepreneurs, venture capital organisations and other private sector businesses and public sector organisations to economic development in Luxembourg but also at international level.
She/He will strategically develop and oversee the operation of business cooperation and development, programs management providing an environment for innovation, entrepreneurship, market intelligence, vocational training and new business growth supporting all LIST R&I departments.
The primary roles of the Head of TTO are to:
• Pro-actively identify new opportunities for research collaboration with industry, both nationally and internationally, and public sector partners in LIST’s target markets, specifically inter-departmental business opportunities.
• Raise awareness of LIST research activities by establishing LIST value proposition and offering (through specific events, economic missions, showroom, LIST technology infrastructures).
• Devise strategies for driving revenue growth, analyze existing approaches to the development of business and making changes where appropriate. Provide robust tools, methods and analysis on market trends, competitors and customers monitoring to support the R&I departments to determine their strategies in terms of research opportunities, market penetration and development strategy.
• Manage LIST’s key accounts/partners by establishing and maintaining trusted relationships between LIST’s research departments and key accounts/partners.
• Support LIST’s research departments with acquisition and negotiations of research and innovation contracts with companies and public sector partners. Provide the leadership and management necessary to increase the number of licenses, industry collaborations with partners nationally and internationally.
• Elaborate, promote and manage LIST’s partnership models, including contract research, collaborative research, strategic partnership and research programs. Establishes business models, as appropriate for managing the exploitation of results.
• Develop and execute policy, procedures and systems to drive technology transfer and innovation and influence internal stakeholders to ensure agreement with policy to deliver on the LIST transfer and innovation strategy, including the establishment of a coherent business flow process, supported by the LIST CRM.
• Oversee the day to day management of the TTO business development team, as well as coordinate and harmonize business activities and business flows with partnership developers in the research departments.
• Lead valorisation transfer officers to disseminate information about promising technologies and successes and manage the identification, evaluation, protection and commercialisation of LIST technologies (IP).
• Engage with and influence the Luxembourg initiatives concerning the innovation strategy and economic development at the national and international level. The latter includes European consortium projects, where LIST plays a vital role in future European programs and calls and influences relevant institutions directly or via the European Association of Research and Technology Organizations (EARTO).
• Build and maintain the support services, partnerships with venture capitalists and investors and other stakeholders to maximize the commercialisation and employment potential of LIST’s research outputs.
• Encourage and facilitate the generation of spinoffs, from the start-up phase, guiding them through the process of translating a business idea into a real company.
• Lead and manage the team of professionals at the TTO, ensuring the development of the skills and expertise with changing internal and external needs. Develop and maintain a service-oriented operation that is responsive to the needs of our institution's research community, ventures, industry, state agencies and other external partners.
Which profile we are looking for
• Demonstrated professional experience in technology offering and transfer and research management, research business strategy with a proven record in the development of high-value R&D funding.
• Experience in the public research sector with a proven track record in managing key accounts and matching companies' long-term technology needs with innovative solutions based on collaborative research, technology transfer and IP licensing or other valorisation pathways.
• In-depth understanding of the needs of both start-ups and large corporates as well as public stakeholders.
• In-depth knowledge of IP, ideally experiences in managing complex IP issues.
• Hands-on involvement in negotiation and management of technology license agreements.
• University degree in a relevant field of commercial sciences and LIST relevant technologies or sciences (materials, environment, computer science, space); PhD in the above areas is an asset.
• Knowledge of marketing and communication of science. Demonstrate substantial business acumen, extensive experience and track record in one or more of industry 4.0, materials science, biotech, fintech, ICT.
• Proven strong managerial skills together with impacting interpersonal and communication skills.
• Excellent communication skills, written and oral with the ability to represent LIST at large events as well as with partners at all levels, from research management, researchers and staff to company executives.
• Ability to work as a team player in a multicultural environment.
• Excellent organisational skills.
• Diplomatic negotiation style.
• Quick comprehension of new (scientific) topics and projects.
• Ability to manage several requests and situation at one time and able to meet deadlines.
• Working experience in Luxembourg or Greater Region and be fluent in French or German in addition to English. Luxembourgish is an asset.