Your work environment
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You will be working closely with LIST CEO. You work on multiple projects (either strategic long-term projects or else taking control of urgent issues), acting as a “gatekeeper” to the CEO, trying to resolve problems that don’t need a lot of his attention. Your tasks are thus varied, you have an eye for detail and you have a scientific background. You understand that high quality communication from LIST CEO is essential. In this role, your counterparties vary from CEOs to members of government and high-level public figures. You work also actively towards effective internal co-ordination and co-operation between LIST departments.
The strategic advisor will apply his/her professional knowledge and expertise to support CEO in all strategic and performance planning/tracking activities. We are looking for someone who is interested in working in a dynamic, challenging environment, for a research and technology organization (RTO) that recognizes and rewards creativity, initiative and contributions.
As strategic advisor to the CEO, you will be involved in :
- Working together with CEO to define, articulate and assign LIST projects, specific task forces and policy development.
- Assisting the CEO to track and provide analytical reports on the development of strategic initiatives and performance of LIST in line with its strategic performance management principles. As such, you work on internal project where the CEO is a corporate sponsor, e.g., associated with risk & compliance, strategy implementations and performance management and other internal initiatives such as task forces on strategic topics.
- Consolidating and producing strategic plans and review together with other department directors and their “Chargée de mission”. You contribute to the preparation of strategic documents and you carry out analyses/studies and prepare technical-scientific files
- Proactively preparing CEO’s briefings and impacting presentations for internal/external events and CEO’s external speaking, including preparation for negotiations with third parties by means of preparing briefings regarding LIST’s key messages/ overall position, defensives, alternative strategies (“BATNA”), as well all necessary reference material.
You work closely with LIST communication/events team to prepare content for
- CEO communications
- LIST general assembly
- LIST internal publication
- LIST annual report
- LIST organisational announcements
You contribute to the preparation of LIST Quarterly KPI’s and performance reports.
You support the CEO in planning LIST board of directors’ agenda and prepare material for the board meetings.
You assist the CEO and Executive Committee in public affairs. You are involved in understanding Luxembourg’s research priorities, LIST’s wide initiatives.
As a main contact point for the Ministry of Higher Education and Research (MESR), you coordinate LIST performance contract revisions and updates, as well as different external evaluation initiatives. You also interact with other Ministries in Luxembourg and the Luxembourg National Research Fund (FNR)/Fonds National de la Recherche.
- Hold a Master’s degree or PhD
Experience and skills
- At least 10 years’ post-Master’s or PhD in similar role
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and writing
- Previous successful experience in managing strategic content/communication in scientific field
- Ability to comprehend complex issues in their entirety
- Experience with successful negotiations, including both public and private sector parties
- Have a good understanding and practice of project management techniques
- Have a good knowledge of LIST, its context, its organisation, information and decision-making channels
- Demonstrate excellent relational qualities in order to interact with very high-level contacts
- Respect the need to be discrete and confidential when handling sensitive files
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft tools (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Be autonomous, organised, adaptable, resourceful and able to synthesise complex topics
- Ability to work under pressure and stress resistant
- Highly confidential person who demonstrates integrity and loyalty
- Have a perfect knowledge of French and English, in particular, when writing reports or creating presentations
- A good command of German and Luxembourgish, both spoken and written, is desirable