Bascharage | Luxembourg
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is appointing the head of its research unit " Polymer & Composite Materials”. The research unit is part of the Department "Material Research and Technology" (MRT) and addresses the tailoring and processing of polymers & composites, and the study of physico-chemical and thermo-mechanical behaviour through both experimental and numerical approaches. The unit runs competitive projects, industry-funded projects and European projects and is presently composed of about 40 researchers, engineers, technicians and PhD students, organised in three research groups, which focus on the following domains:
- The design and durability of high performance and multi-functional composites
- Interface engineering towards better performance and durability
- Polymer processing and Bio-based polymers/composites
A large part of Luxembourg’s manufacturing industry is closely tied to innovations in materials research. Several Luxembourgish companies have extensive R&D operations, ranging from automotive suppliers to aerospace, metallurgy, electronics or construction. As a consequence, the materials and process sector is regarded as one of the main drivers of competitiveness and diversification in Luxembourg.
The activities of the composite unit stand in the larger context of a “National Composite Initiative in Luxembourg”, which aims at federating, extending, consolidating and integrating the competencies existing in Luxembourg’s composite sector, which is composed of both large industrial companies and SMEs. Within this initiative, the MRT operates the National Composite Centre Luxembourg (NCC-L) which bundles expertise, projects and important investments.
The department MRT is currently composed of about 170 collaborators and presents, beyond the field of composite materials, the following activities:
- a Research unit which focuses on “Nanomaterials and Nanotechnology”. The aim of this unit is to translate the enabling capabilities of nanotechnology/nanomaterials into application-driven solutions which take advantage of the functional properties of materials.
- a transversal group, which mutualizes MRT's expertise and equipment in thin film processing, coating and prototyping
- a transversal Composite platform, which regroups NCC-L’s investments on polymer-processing, structural composites, macromolecular engineering and specific characterizations.
- a transversal Materials Characterization and Testing Platform, which provides access to state-of the art characterization in the field of Molecular Analysis / Elemental and Isotopic Analysis / Structure, Morphology and Topography / Mechanical Testing and Accelerated Ageing / Fire Testing / Thermal Analysis. The available techniques are described at https://www.list.lu/en/institute/rd-infrastructures/materials-characterization-and-testing/
- MRT also operates a Technology line, which focuses on the development of innovative scientific instruments for nano-imaging and nano-analytics mainly based on charge particles.
The Head of Unit is responsible for the overall management, strategy, coordination and performance of the RDI activities of his unit. He reports to department direction and is himself hierarchically the person responsible for the RDI group leaders. The successful candidate will steer the development of an internationally recognized Research, Development & Innovation (RDI) program in the field of polymers and composite materials, in particular he is expected to
- Propose a RDI strategy for the unit, aligned with the overall mission of the LIST and its global strategy
- Translate the approved strategy in the drafting of :
- a short, mid and long-term roadmap for the unit
- a competitive multiannual research program and an appropriate funding plan
- a valorization strategy of scientific knowledge and technologies towards the industrial sector
- Implement the validated RDI unit business plan
- Define and propose relevant KPI’s to monitor the performance of the groups within the RDI unit
- High-level people management of the RDI unit and direct management of the group leaders
- Propose Capex investments and implement the validated Capex
- Structurally report to the department direction
- Oversee the HR of the unit, support and execute the HR corporate policies
- Coordinate the RDI activities, promote interdisciplinary collaboration within the research unit, with other units and other departments at LIST, as well as Luxembourgish stakeholders.
- Represent and promote the RDI unit externally in line with the Department’s communication strategy
- Be accountable for the administrative and financial follow-up of the RDI projects of his/her unit
- Continue to build his/her scientific and technological expertise
- Hold a PhD degree in Chemistry, Physics, Materials sciences or a related field of engineering sciences
- Have a sound and proven knowledge and comprehension of both the industrial and academic world, have a strong experience in building relationship with industries and the advocacy of institutional interests.
- Have at least 10 years of relevant professional experience in team leadership and project management within a competitive or industrial RDI environment
- Have demonstrated success in multiannual RDI projects and proven experience as a Principal Investigator of projects
- Have a proven experience in terms of cooperation with the industrial sector industry.
- Demonstrate a strong experience in developing innovative research, technology and solutions
- Possess a sound experience in generating intellectual property and in valorizing scientific and technological results (contract research, patents, licenses)
- Show a high-level scientific and technological track record related to polymers and composite materials
- Excellent command of English
- Good knowledge in at least one of the official languages of the country (French, German or Luxembourgish)