Fixed term contract
The successful candidate will join the Environmental Research and Innovation (ERIN) department. With a team of more than 170 scientists and engineers from life science, environmental science, and environmental informatics, the department has the necessary interdisciplinary knowledge and skills to tackle major environmental challenges our society is facing today: climate change mitigation, ecosystem resilience, sustainable energy systems, efficient use of renewable resources, environmental pollution prevention and control.
The ERIN department of LIST has an opening for an Engineer position in the field of geoinformatics and geocomputation. The applicant will intervene in the framework of national and international research projects, in the field of interoperable web-based geospatial decision support platforms for smart city energy applications, environmental crisis and disaster management. The applicant will be part of the Environmental Informatics unit, which focuses on artificial intelligence, mixed reality systems, visualisation, geocomputation and their application to environmental issues.
The research projects the candidate will contribute to, focus on the implementation of operational geospatial web platforms involving geoanalytics & visualisation to enhance city wide energy management on the one hand and analyse changes in land use and land cover on the other hand, using OGC standards.
The Engineer contributes to RDI projects through the design, development and improvement of applications, processes, methods, technological solutions and/or products.
Contribution to RDI projects:
- Design, develop and test software tools implemented into interoperable web-based geospatial decision support platforms for smart city energy applications and environmental crisis and disaster management
- Implement operational geospatial web platforms involving geoanalytics & visualisation to enhance city wide energy management on the one hand and analyse changes in land use and land cover on the other hand, using OGC standards
- Maintain state of the art expertise in the field of geospatial software technologies and geoinformatics / geocomputation
- Contribute to the development of partnerships and networks at a national and international level in geoinformatics and geocomputation
- Contribute to the technical content of new project proposals
Dissemination, valorisation and transfer of RDI results:
- Participate in the drafting of technical reports, scientific articles, patents
- Participate to the implementation of technological solutions (proofs of concepts, prototypes)
- Master degree in a quantitative science subject related to Geocomputation (geoinformatics, computer science, engineering or similar)
- Proven experience in software programming related to geocomputation
- Experience of implementing scientific algorithms
- Experience of interacting with different kinds of partners and understanding their needs
- Experience of reporting results in a clear and comprehensible manner
- Experience in PyWPS, OpenLayers, Leaflet, Bootstrap, Jquery, D3js, MapServer, Geoserver, pycsw
- Knowledge in OGC web services, Spatial SQL, GIS and Web Development
- Knowledge of good software development practices such as requirements gathering, version control, testing, security issues and documentation
- Skills associated with analysis, processing and/or visualisation of environmental data
- Knowledge in big geodata management and analytics
- Knowledge of Linux system administration
- English is mandatory
- Luxembourgish, French and/or German are an asset
Candidates interested in the above position can apply online. The application file should include:
- A CV
- A motivation letter
- The names of two or three referees