Fixed term contract
Nano-structured materials, in particular ferroic oxides, attract great interest because of the wealth of possibilities they offer for optimizing their functional properties and even inducing new ones. Quantum-mechanical first-principles methods have become an indispensable tool in cutting-edge materials research, as they allow to better understand the physical causes for observed phenomena as well as to predict and test strategies to develop high-performing materials (computational materials design).
The LIST’s Nanomaterials and Nanotechnologies (Nano) Unit have a clear vision to strengthen their atomistic simulation capabilities and to better integrate them with their experimental and technological activities.
In this context, we are looking for a senior post-doc to conduct theoretical and simulation materials research at LIST. More specifically, this post-doc will:
- Run atomistic simulations, using first-principles methods, aimed at supporting the activities of the and in particular the Ferroics Materials for Transducers (FMT) group and the Nano Unit as a whole
- Contribute to the theory and simulation projects in the FMT group, which cover a wide range of materials and phenomena in the context of functional ferroic oxides
- Identify opportunities for new experiment—theory collaborations in the FMT group and the Nano Unit as a whole
- PhD in Physics, Materials Science or related discipline
- At least two years of previous post-doctoral experience
- Expert in the use of first-principles simulation methods based on denstify fucntional theory
- Experience working with functional oxides, in particular ferroics
- Ability to tackle a wide range of materials and physical phenomena
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with experimentalists and scientists of different backgrounds
- Demonstrated ability to conceive and carry out a project to completion independently, including writing and publication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work and thrive in a collaborative environment, team mentality
- Good spoken and written English is mandatory