With a team of more than 100 highly skilled researchers and engineers from various disciplines, the ITIS Department addresses the technological, organizational, human and economic aspects of innovative IT services. Research areas are based around the innovation of services with a high level of information intensity and a level of quality allowing trust to be gained in their use and value to be generated around new business models.
The successful candidate will actively contribute to the research and technological activities in an interdisciplinary research unit that aims to enhance Luxembourg’s international competitiveness in the area of business analytics applied to big data and therefore significantly participate in the country's socio-economic development.
For this position, we are looking for a highly-motivated and experienced research engineer. The successful candidate will take part in ambitious project(s) related to Industry 4.0 and Business Analytics. It will also aim at designing and building reliable, scalable software architectures that not only leverage advanced analytical models but, at the same time, integrate with the existing enterprise infrastructure(s).
The Engineer will actively contribute to the research and technological activities in the Business Analytics and Regulatory Technologies (BART) interdisciplinary research unit. BART aims to enhance Luxembourg’s international competitiveness in Business Analytics (applied to Big Data with a HPC context), and therefore to significantly participate in the country's socio-economic development.
In this context, the Engineer is mainly responsible for:
- Work closely with the different external and internal stakeholders to successfully design, validate and develop edge, cloud and high-performance architectures; propose viable options based on factors like performance, infrastructure in place, or application and project requirements;
- Design, develop, validate and support architectural plans, solutions and/or proof-of-concepts within the scope of the different projects that are covered, e.g. machine learning, analytics; offer operations support;
- Communicate results through software demonstrations, analysis, comparisons/review and through presentations/reports as per the project’s needs. Will also need to intervene, on a per-need-basis, in providing training or support material;
- Conduct technical and literature reviews and keep up with the state of the art in the field of software engineering/design.
- PhD/Master’s degree in Data Analytics/Computer Science/Software Engineering/ Information Technology or other closely related disciplines.
- Demonstrated professional experience and expertise with using Data Analytics and Business Analytics in Industry 4.0; strong skills and knowledge in data analytics, machine learning techniques and modeling required;
- Demonstrated experience with the full Data Analytics and ML workflow, from data extraction to modelling and deployment, for processing and analysis of business operations data, both in the commercial and open-source real-life setups;
- Collaborative skills, initiative, result-oriented, excellent organization and capacity to work in an interdisciplinary environment; excellent analytical and report-writing skills; excellent communication skills (oral, written, presentation);
- Strong interest in engaging in innovative value-creation activities with partners in the Industry 4.0 domain;
- Demonstrated ability to generate new ideas, concepts and solutions.
The candidate is expected to have strong knowledge and experience with technical skill sets and expertise like:
- Strong knowledge of data analytics, classical machine learning models, time series modelling, causal analysis concepts along with a clear understanding of building data pipelines for analytics projects; strong understanding of the current state-of-the-art in Data Analytics, ML/AI;
- Knowledge of R and Python is mandatory, specifically in frameworks such as TensorFlow, Keras, numpy, scikit-learn etc.;
- Proficiency in SQL highly desirable;
- Proven experience in building ETL pipelines for industry projects;
- Experience in visualization tools such as Tableau or Shiny highly desirable;
- Experience in at least one cloud computing environments such as Azure, IBM Watson, AWS or Google Cloud;
- Experience in managing Git or any other version control tools/practice;
- Application of these into concrete projects in the Industry 4.0/Manufacturing domain is mandatory.
- Fluency in English (written/verbal) is mandatory.