Your work environment
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You will be part of the LIST Environmental Research and Innovation department
As part of a Research and Technology Organization (RTO), the Environmental Research and Innovation (ERIN) Department tackles some of the major environmental challenges our society is facing today, such as climate change, ecosystem resilience, sustainable energy systems, the efficient use of renewable resources, and environmental pollution prevention and control. To this end, the mission of the ERIN department is:
1) To conduct impact-driven scientific research and development, as well as technological innovation;
2) To support companies in the implementation of new environmental regulations and advise governments on determining sustainable policies for the future, with the objectives of :
- Analyzing, managing and exploiting sustainable resources (water, air, soil, renewable energy, bioresources)
- Reducing the environmental impact of human consumption and production activities
The selected applicant will join ERIN's Environmental and Industrial Biotechnologies (BIOTECH) unit. This RDI unit has developed expertise in
- Proofing new concepts using metabolic engineering and integrative biology approaches for the production of biomolecules of industrial interest produced by plants or microorganisms
- Developing new technologies and processes to control, treat and remediate environmental microbial risks, with a focus on microorganism-based biotechnologies
- Developing bio-process engineering solutions to convert organic resources into energy and molecules for industry
The selected candidate will use and develop bioinformatic (metagenomics, metatranscriptomics) and microbial modelling tools to expand our knowledge on microbial systems biology. The selected applicant will work on transversal projects supporting bioinformatics (metagenomics, metatranscriptomics) and microbial modelling research in environmental and applied microbiology.
In this context, she/he will be involved in research activities combining knowledge across software development and microbiology. The candidate will be expected to handle multiple omics data from various sources, including aquatic systems, anaerobic digestion, termite gut, soil and other biomass-rich environments.
The successful candidate should have a good overview of the studied microbiome, supported by a good sense of detail. He/she should be able to propose and develop new analysis pipelines, and present the results using state-of-the-art visual analytics tools.
The candidate must be motivated by building new knowledge across bioinformatics and microbial systems biology and biotechnology. He/she will more specifically join the Biosystems and Bioengineering Bioprocessing research group, which among others develops new microbe-driven technologies for biowaste treatment and recycling.
The main missions of the Experienced Bioinformatician are to:
- Define and conduct Research, Development and Innovation (RDI) activities to create and promote knowledge, technologies and methodologies in line with LIST and the department's strategy
- Develop and maintain technological and scientific excellence for RDI activities
- Achieve recognition in relevant technological and scientific communities
- Support the RDI department strategy by acquiring various types of funding (private and public)
- Carry out as a PI, RDI projects in line with relevant quality management scheme(s)
- Transfer RDI results to public and private partners addressing market and/or societal needs
- Develop technological and scientific cooperation and networks at a national and international level
- Contribute to the training of research staff via mentoring, knowledge sharing, supervision of PhD students and, potentially, participation in doctoral schools
- Disseminate, valorise and transfer RDI results (patents, licences, prototypes, publications, technical reports, participation in conferences)
- PhD in bioinformatics, informatics or biology, microbiology, and related disciplines but with proficiency in data analyses in a Linux/Unix environment and experience with programming using e.g. Python, Perl, C++, R, etc.
Required qualifications include postdoctoral experience (between 4 and 6 years after PhD completion), ability to work with a team and ability to communicate effectively with students, colleagues, and external stakeholders. In any case, applicants are expected to have a demonstrated record of publication excellence.
- Experience in proposal writing and project acquisition
- Excellent writing- and reporting/presentation skills (scientific level)
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills with the proven ability to effectively communicate across different levels of the organization and with customers
- Customer and result oriented attitude
- Able to handle multiple projects and changing priorities
- Willingness to work collegially in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment
- Outstanding programming skills in R, Python, Java, Perl, C++ and/or other software/programming languages is required;
- Proficiency in data analyses in a Linux/Unix environment
- General knowledge of microbiology with strong interest in environmental and/or applied microbiology, documented by publications records
- Previous experience in analysing multi-omics datasets, including metagenomics and metatranscriptomics, both short and long read sequencing
- Good knowledge and practical experience of metabolic reconstruction/modelling
- Experience with HPC and cloud computing
- Good communication skills to disseminate the results towards the industry are considered as a strong advantage
- Proven experience of tools for professional source code management, continuous integration, version control, testing, code reliability, application security and writing software documentation. Basic knowledge of testing frameworks for at least one programming language (pytest, junit for example)
- English is mandatory
- French or German will be considered as an asset
Candidates interested in the above position can apply online on our website www.list.lu
The application must include:
- A CV
- A motivation letter
- The names of two or three referees
- If possible, a list of publications, invited talks, patents and granted projects