Fixed term contract
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) in partnership with a strategic industrial partner will drive significant research and development focused on responding to innovation challenges in tire-related applications and business intelligence.
The primary objective of this project is to foster research excellence and the development of technologies, skills and tools to capture the value of data generated along the manufacturing and business levels of an industrial partner and use them as innovation asset in the tire-related application and services. This will be achieved by broad research approaches which will be built on public-private synergy between LIST and our partner. The project is structured in two programs.
- The first program is dedicated to the optimisation of virtual experiments during the design and development of tires manufacturing.
- The second program is dedicated to data analytics of other business areas such as marketing, supply chain, etc.
All projects and positions will be co-supervised by LIST senior researchers and our industrial partner professionals who all have a large experience in supervision and project management.
For one of the projects, we are looking for a PhD holder in the domains of Data Science, Applied Mathematics or Computer Science, with an emphasis on domains such as Statistical Learning & Analysis, Modelling, Optimization and Data management with related coding skills using mainly Python (and R). Any other languages coding is a plus.
We are looking for a highly motivated researcher that holds a PhD degree to perform a key role in an ambitious project. The candidate will be part of a larger team of Data Scientists from LIST and engineering experts from a partner industrial company.
The candidate overall task will be to create tools and solutions for virtual tire design by leveraging data mining, modelling and optimization. The selected candidate will develop the research project at both the LIST and in the private company premises, both located in Luxembourg.
Moreover and as a LIST researcher, the applicant will also be involved in the following tasks:
- Provide state of the art work related to a given research thematic or technology/ perform systematic literature review
- Provide input to the definition of research concepts
- Design and implement innovative prototypes
- Manage the daily research work allowing the smooth progress of the RDI projects
- Contribute to generating knowledge
- Collaborate with other researchers in order to promote interdisciplinary activities internally
Dissemination, valorisation and transfer
- Assist in the preparation of internal project reports and presentations
- Contribute to dissemination, valorisation and transfer of RDI results (patents, licences, prototypes, publications, technical reports)
- Make presentations at workshops and conferences
- Develop scientific and industrial networks
- PhD degree in Statistics, Computer Science or related field (e.g. Applied Mathematics)
- Several years of experience in machine learning tools (using Python, R or any similar programming languages)
- Proven experience in using various database tools (e.g. Hadoop, SQL) and in processing large volumes of structured and unstructured data
- Demonstrated skills in data mining, statistical/machine learning, modelling and programming thereof. Knowledge in (combinatorial) optimization – operations research is a plus
- Ability to query databases and apply advanced data manipulation techniques across multiple and heterogeneous sources
- A demonstrated command of the concepts of model validation, statistical inference and feature engineering
- Capabilities at designing visual interface for data interaction
- Demonstrated ability to generate new ideas, concepts, models and solutions
- Excellent project management, analytical, and report writing skills
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written, presentation). Collaborative skills, initiative, result oriented, organization, and capacity to work in an interdisciplinary environment
- Proficient written and spoken English is mandatory
- Interdisciplinary and challenging research topics, in an outstanding work environment both at LIST and in an innovative private company
- Be part of a highly qualified project team and take part of scientific/networking activities with other research teams at the LIST and in our partner private company
Candidates interested in the above position can apply online on our website www.list.lu
The application file should include:
- A CV
- A motivation letter
- The names of two or three referees